The further away I am from the tragic loss of my husband the simpler life gets for me, not because time heals, but because I know myself better.
It took me years to understand who I was becoming and even when I thought I knew me, there I was changing again.
When your identity is in transition for such a long period of time, it is vital to have some ground rules for yourself.
Therefore these few simple rules should guide you until you get to know yourself better.
Print them and put them on your fridge, in your wallet, have them with you when you go on a first date.
Modify them to meet your needs.
Just as long as you have something along the way that speaks your truth.
- When you know something is not for you, you must walk out.
- When you don’t agree with someone, you must let them know.
- When you see someone needing help, you must help.
- When you don’t love someone enough to stay, you must leave.
- When you never laugh out loud in a relationship, you must question it.
- When someone mistreats you, you must ask yourself why you let them.
- Above all, never ever lie to yourself so you don’t have to do all of the above.